Soil is a medium for the growth of sugarcane plant that provides water, vital nutrient and supporting structure to the growing plants. It is, therefore, important to maintain sufficient chemical, physical and biological conditions for higher yield of sugarcane. However, the limited availability of organic matter has always been a problem to sustain better growth on sodic and alkaline soils. For this, Organic Soil amendments like gypsum are an affordable source of nutrients to increase crop growth.
Factors that Made Organic Soil Amendments Vital for Sugarcane Plants
Sugarcane is a crop that grows well in subtropical and tropical climates. In order to have a high stalk out during its life cycle and to reduce ratoon yields, it is vital to incorporate steps to increase and maintain soil fertility. During the cane plant cycle, it extracts a large volume of essential nutrients from the soil and deposits them in the plant because of its large mass production. Therefore, agricultural practices must ensure proper and sufficient supply of vital nutrients to the crop so that higher yield can be obtained during its life cycle.
Poor and inadequate conditions such as soil compaction, imbalance in pH, soil infertility, lack of calcium and sulfur uptake to sugarcane crop and the like, greatly affects the overall yield. It is, thus vital to maintaining the physical properties of soil for enhanced sugarcane growth.
Ideal Soil Condition for Sugarcane Production
- Sufficient Nutrient Supply
- Well-Drained Loamy Soil with neutral pH (6.5-7.5)
- No Soil Compaction
- Loose Soil with a minimum depth of 45cm
- No Harmful Soils and Nutrient Deficiency
Application of Gypsum as an Organic Soil Amendments for Sugarcane
Agricultural-grade Gypsum is one of the earliest types of fertilizer that are used as one of the best choices of soil amendments and can be effectively applied to agricultural soils. The application of high-quality gypsum such as CalciSoil agricultural gypsum will lead to enhancement of the root growth’s layers below arable one and the effect will persist through many years.
Soil magnesium, calcium and sulphur decrease during cane plant cycles by both acidification due to nitrogenous fertilizer and removal of bases by harvests.
- When top quality gypsum is applied to the soil, it acts as a potential source of Calcium and Sulfur that is the best soluble source and supports the healthy growth of the plant.
- Gypsum as an organic soil amendments can also boost chemical and physical properties of soils; thereby decrease soil erosion and nutrient concentration loss during surface water runoff.
- Proper application of Gypsum attenuates the effects of acidity and water stress in the edaphic environment.
Therefore, agricultural grade gypsum when used as an organic soil amendment for sodic soil reclamation, results in an enhanced yield of sugarcane. Besides, it is finding its wide application in greenhouse, nursery and landscape. Due to multiple uses of top quality gypsum that deliver potential benefits, it is widely accepted by horticultural and agricultural users.